Formerly known as “Saturday”, Caturday is a day when the posting of cats and lolcats is acceptable, and encouraged.
In 2005, the chemists at 4chan decided to set aside a day when the posting of cats and cat macros would be acceptable, and even encouraged. Since one-seventh of a week was deemed insufficient for the posting of such a large volume of cats, it was later decided that “Every day shall be Caturday”. This decision was lauded by those who love cats, and derided by those who do not.
Fundamental Theorem of Caturday
- On November 16, 2005, Caturday blog, a Blogspot blog, appeared.
- On July 15, 2006, an entry for “caterday” was made in Urban Dictionary. By October, 2006, an entry with the correct spelling appeared.
- On September 3, 2006, Caturday, a LiveJournal community, was set up.
Cats are still posted on Caturday, to the chagrin of those who dislike cats. These people will often post gross kitty images to Caturday threads, to show their contempt.
- Today is Caturday, post cats plzkthx.
- Every day is now Caturday.
- Caturday Kitten Update … (perryandmina.wordpress.com)
- Every day should be Caturday (ask.metafilter.com)
- Caturday: The Most Patient Cat in the World (cuteoverload.com)
- It’s Caturday! (cafewitteveen.wordpress.com)