That didn’t take very long. Just three days after being announced, iOS 6 has been, as the cool kids say, pwned by the Dev-Team with Redsn0W 0.9.13dev1. As hinted earlier this week the jailbreak doesn’t work with the iPhone 4S, but only the iPhone 4, iPod touch 4G, and the iPhone 3GS. There are some downsides to the jailbreak, but this news should be music to developer’s ears.
Redmond Pie has a thorough installation guide but for the most part, if this is something you’ve done before, the process is mostly the same. Download the iPhone Dev Team’s Redsn0w tool, the iOS 6 Beta IPSW firmware, and let the magic begin. Cydia isn’t included in the mix as it’s not coded for iOS 6 yet.
It should also be noted that you’re jailbreaking a few days old beta intended only for developers. I wouldn’t recommend installing and jailbreaking iOS 6 on your significant other’s iPhone 4 just yet.
- Jailbreak of Apple’s iOS 5 beta gets Redsn0w update (reviews.cnet.com)
- iOS 6 GM Jailbroken Ahead of iPhone 5 Release (news.softpedia.com)
- Jailbreakers Not to Update to iOS 6 Otherwise……? BigBoss Warns (hitechanalogy.com)
- The iOS 6 GM Has Been Jailbroken For Developers [Jailbreak] (cultofmac.com)
- Jailbreak iOS 6 GM Tethered On A4-Based Devices With Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4 (redmondpie.com)
- iOS 6 GM Jailbroken Earlier Than iPhone 5 Release !! (uberinterest.wordpress.com)
- Redsn0w 0.9.13dev4 Released To Jailbreak Tethered iOS 6 GM Build (cydiaism.com)
- Jailbreak iOS 6 Beta 3 Tethered with Redsn0w: iPhone Dev Team (hitechanalogy.com)